Intelsat, operator of the world’s largest integrated satellite and terrestrial network, announced an extension of its partnership with Liquid Telecom the leading pan-African telecoms group. The two companies have collaborated for four years to deliver Liquid Telecom’s multi-award-winning very-small-aperture terminal (VSAT) service over Intelsat’s high-throughput satellite fleet, providing a robust, secure and reliable communications network to communities, schools and businesses in 20 countries across the continent.
Reports and Coverage
In the context of its plans to open its telecoms market, the Ethiopian government announced that it will sell a 40% stake in Ethio Telecom and retain the remaining 60%. A percentage of the minority stake will be sold to Ethiopian citizens.
In order to fulfil its commitment to support Arab countries and all stakeholders in facing the COVID-19 pandemic through digital technologies and highlight their efforts in this matter, the Arab Information and Communication Technologies Organization (AICTO) and the Technical Secretariat of the Council of Arab Ministers organized in partnership with ESCWA the first Arab Webinar entitled “ICT fighting Covid-19: Arab initiatives and success stories”. The webinar allowed all stakeholders in the region to present their experiences and share best practices to confront the coronavirus pandemic.
By Femi Oshiga, vice president of service providers for MEA, CommScope
If you are like me, or millions of other office workers around the world, you are finding yourself working at home these days. The result of this massive work from home movement is the broadband traffic that would have previously taken place in the office or on cellular networks and has now been moved to networks serving residential users, thus straining these networks.
By Tamer Farouk, Regional Senior Director, Oracle South Africa and EWA
In light of COVID-19, the Arab Information Communication Technologies Organization (AICTO) has decided to launch a special platform within the framework of unconventional plans elaborated in the Arab region and the world to cope with the exceptional circumstances.
Telecommunications multinational, Angola Cables has recorded a 170% growth in traffic on its IP Network in the first quarter of 2020 when compared to the same period last year.
A recent annual report by Brand Finance, a leading independent brand valuation consultancy has identified the top brands including in the telecoms sector. In the report, MTN has been awarded the most valuable telecom brand in Africa given that its brand value was boosted by a solid overall performance for the year, despite challenging economic conditions and regulatory challenges in some markets.
The first virtual panel by Telecom Review will address the delay in 5G development caused by the novel coronavirus and the ensuing impact on operators and vendors, in addition to how 5G played an important role in the fight against COVID-19.
Two COVID-19 inactivated vaccines have just been approved to go into clinical trial by the National Medical Products Administration (NMPA) of China.